What is an Agency-Based Education?
Our organization offers families and educators a view of moral agency based education principles in direct opposition to compulsory education. We invite you to join us by subscribing to our posts and on Facebook. The following brief information will give you a view of what our organization stands for
From Websters 1828 Dictionary:
AGENCY, n. [L. agens. See Act.] 1. The quality of moving or of exerting power; the state of being in action; action; operation; instrumentality; as, the agency of providence in the natural world.
EDUCATION, n. [L. educatio.] The bringing up, as of a child, instruction; formation of manners. Education comprehends all that series of instruction and discipline which is intended to enlighten the understanding, correct the temper, and form the manners and habits of youth, and fit them for usefulness in their future stations. To give children a good education in manners, arts and science, is important; to give them a religious education is indispensable; and an immense responsibility rests on parents and guardians who neglect these duties.
Agency-Based Education Defined
An Agency-Based Education is an education in which individuals exercise choice to exert their faculties to learn to be moral, self-governing, contributing citizens of good character; identify their gifts and talents to be empowered to overcome barriers in pursuit of their life’s missions; and maintain a free society to ensure these opportunities exist for future generations.
Our mission is to provide an opportunity for the parents and children of the state of Utah to choose an Agency-Based Education.
Principles of an Agency-Based Education
- Must be based in choice and not compulsion
- Helps develop an internal moral compass as one fosters a recognition and love of truth
- Recognizes that truth best inspires when sought from original source materials
- Should be individualized to allow children to identify and develop their gifts and talents and discover their life’s missions
- Must recognize that parents have the sovereign stewardship to guide their children’s educational journey
Our Organization’s Purpose
This is an educational organization that teaches parents:
- Their natural rights
- Principles of a higher quality education
- Current laws on education (Utah)
- What is wrong with compulsory education and why we want change
- What education options are currently available and what they could be in the future
- How to get involved with us
If you agree with our principles, please join us on our low volume email list above and on Facebook. Spread the word and help restore educational freedom.
We suggest you read the education examples page to see a contrast between styles of teaching and learning.
The major foundation of our organization and work is based in the book “Teach the Children, An Agency Approach to Education,” by Neil Flinders. Neil’s book is a magnum opus reflecting a lifetime of studying educational principles and theories. Although the book reflects a strong presence of Neil’s religion (LDS), the directions presented for achieving the results of an agency-based education are non-specific to a religion and can be implemented by any teacher or parent who is concerned with teaching children to take personal responsibility for their education by doing the right thing, at the right time, in the right way, for the right reason. Neil’s book is out of print, but used copies can be found on Amazon.com.